I quit my job to stay at home with my daughter. So it was important for me to find as many ways as possible to save money, which led me to do this Ibotta review.
Looking at our budget we noticed that groceries were our biggest expense.
To save on groceries, I’ve tried clipping coupons from the paper but that was exhausting and it took up SOOOOO much of my time. Not to mention, coupons were everywhere but hardly with me when I was at the store.
In addition to saving with coupons, I’ve saved on groceries by testing out different money-saving apps like Ibotta.
Here’s my honest feedback if Ibotta is worth your time!
What exactly is Ibotta?
Ibotta is a completely FREE app that gives you cash back when you shop from any of the 300+ stores offered.
Until recently, I thought that Ibotta was an app that could save me money on just my groceries.
But…What I didn’t know was that Ibotta now offers mobile in-app cash back from stores like Amazon, Boxed, Best Buy and even Uber!
You can also earn cash back for making in-store purchases at stores like Costco, Buy Buy Baby, Quik Trip, and Ulta Beauty.
I love that I am able to save almost anywhere I shop!
With all the different ways to save, Ibotta has helped its users save over $190 million dollars.
Hopefully, you’ll be able to become one of the many users to save money from Ibotta by using this Ibotta review as a guide!
Pros and Cons
Here are some of the pros and cons of using the app.
- Easy to use
- Wide selection of products available
- Rebates available for generic and/or store brand
- Rebates available for fresh produce
- Rebates available for alcohol
- Don’t have to clip coupons
- Able to stack savings by using coupons and/or ecoupons
- Able to make money on items
- Rebates can be a hit or miss some weeks
- Must use a smartphone to upload receipts
- Must use a smartphone to scan UPC codes
- Same offers are not available for everyone
- Store cash back percentages are not always clear
- App can be slow at times
- Customer service is not very responsive
How does it work?
It’s super easy to use, as you will find in this Ibotta review.
Follow the steps below before your next in-store shopping trip and you’ll be on your way to saving some extra cash.
- Download the FREE Ibotta app on your iOS or Android device. Sign up for your account by clicking here
- Open the app and browse through the available offers. You can add offers by tapping the plus sign. You may have to watch a short video or answer a question before you can save the offer
Pro tip: You are able to “favorite” the stores you shop at the most
- Shop at the store like you normally would and remember to keep your receipt
- Upload your receipt as soon as you get home by clicking on the “redeem” button
- Scan individual product UPCs
- Get paid!
The whole process takes about 5 minutes from browsing for offers to scanning the receipt and UPC labels!
Earning cash back grocery shopping
Depending on how much grocery shopping you do and what you usually buy, you can save quite a bit of money.
Be sure to look at Ibotta prior to shopping so you can make your list with the current cash back offers that week.
Ibotta offers cash back on items that normally don’t have coupons like fresh produce and alcohol! They also offer cash back on brand name products as well as “any brand” products.
“Any brand” rebates are rebates that apply to a whole category of products and not just to one brand name. You can decide to buy the store brand or the name brand product.
A few things worth mentioning:
- Pay close attention to offer details for each item in order for you to get the rebate. The rebate may be limited to a certain size and/or certain quantity. For example, the offer may look like this.
- All items with a barcode must be scanned during the receipt submission process
- Some rebates may be used multiple times on the same product on the same receipt
- You must submit your receipt within 7 days of printed receipt date
- Offers expire
A full proof way that you can make sure that your items qualify for cash back is to scan the product before you make your purchase. You can do this by bringing up the offer details and tapping on “check product barcode”.
Make it a part of your routine to scan your receipt right when you’re putting your groceries away so you don’t forget. I’ve lost out on money because I didn’t scan my receipts right away.
Earning cash back shopping in the app
The in-app cash back option is definitely a game changer for me! I do most of my shopping (outside of groceries) online and it’s the easiest way to save money!
The cash back is competitive with other players in this space like Ebates and Shopathome. Learn more about Ebates.
A few things worth mentioning:
- Participating stores change from time to time
- Additional promotions may be available. Recently there was one called Ibotta Days. It increased the amount of cash back offered at select stores. I’ve even seen it as high as 20% cash back!
- Additional coupons and promo codes can be used with the offer
There’s good money that can be earned. So make sure to check Ibotta before making online purchases!
When and how will I get paid?
Once you have at least $20 in your account, you can cash out through PayPal, Venmo, or gift card. It’s super quick and easy! I just withdrew $74.31!
How to save even more money
You can use manufacturer and in-store coupons on top of using Ibotta.
Occasionally, I’m able to get something for free or even make money on a product by stacking an in-store coupon, manufacturers coupon, and using Ibotta!
The best way to earn even more money on Ibotta is to earn bonuses.
There are a lot of bonuses offered. Bonuses change monthly and it’s a great reason to use the app. They generally pay out a lot more than individual items that you purchase on any given day.
Another great bonus is to invite friends to use Ibotta. You get $5 and your friend gets $10 once they use the app!
How does it stack up against the competition?
Checkout 51 is another cash back app that’s great, but it’s specifically geared for groceries. There are other options out there but Ibotta is the most popular program. However, they have different offers so you should still check that one out too.
There are a ton of apps out there that give you cash back for shopping and you should definitely give Ibotta a try by clicking here.
Earning money on your groceries is as easy as taking pictures of your receipt and scanning the UPC codes of the products. Simple right?
Once you earn at least $20, you are able to cash out! Yep, that easy!
I hope you learned a few things from this Ibotta review to help you earn some extra money.